Monday, August 26, 2013

It Was Bound to Happen

It's been two years since I bought this lovely 1966 brick ranch, and I've moved slowly when it comes to remodeling. I've done more work outside (new pillars, landscaping, etc.) than inside. Well, nothing major inside. Mike and I tore up the dining room carpeting (what were they thinking?) to uncover 1970 circa sheet vinyl. Not beautiful, but better than the blue carpet. Betsy and I painted the dining room (please, let's get rid of some of that beige!), and that's about it!
Friday night proved to be the right time to start an indoor project. The Blue Bathroom seemed a good place to start. It was begging for a gut job. I took out the rusted HVAC vent, picked up a screwdriver and a hammer, and started chipping away.
Whoa! Who knew that back in the day there was no cement backer board, just cement?
Betsy and Kevin heard the commotion, assessed the situation, and brought some better tools of mass destruction to my aide. She and I beat the living daylight out of that floor, and discovered (not surprisingly) that the subfloor near the tub was, well, gone!

I found this terribly exciting. No, seriously, I did!! She and I did as much as we could felt like that night.



Day 2 found me digging into the stunningly lovely countertop. Mike couldn't take it anymore, so he brought his A game and worked on the floor, while I sledgehammered the counter.





The plan, as it stands right now, is to paint the tile surrounding the tub, but get rid of all the other tile on the walls. New toilet, new hex tile floor (after new subfloor), drywall, vent/light in ceiling, keep and update vanity, new sink and countertop. Then again, I could lose the vanity and use the pedestal sink I bought a year ago and put in a free-standing cabinet for towels, etc. I am not married to any one plan right now, because new ideas come to me on an hourly basis!
Today is Day 3, and Betsy and I are dressed and ready to tackle getting that vanity away from the wall and maybe even getting the old toilet out. It's a good thing this place has two bathrooms!

1 comment:

Marie said...

WOW!! Way to go! (But better you than me. I'm just too lazy.)

Catching Up

First things first - you might have noticed I've changed the name of the blog. Knitting NonPareil was appropriate at one time, but I don...